Unite Oregon is launching a series of webinars on Anti-Blackness, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Defund/abolition, and intersectional identities. Our goal is to offer immigrant/refugee community members a better understanding of the abolition framework, the interaction between ICE and the uprising for Black lives, and to equip us with the skills needed to understand and dismantle anti Blackness at all levels.
At the end of this training series, we hope that our communities and members:
- Understand and support the campaign to divest from law enforcement and reinvest in communities;
- Learn about how anti-Blackness plays out across the systems and society we live in;
- Develop a detailed understanding of community safety programs and other alternatives to policing;
- Understand that ICE and policing go hand-in-hand, and that dismantling ICE upholds the idea that Black Lives Matter;
- Support policies which invest and put resources into Black communities, while dismantling the harms that Black Oregonians experience every day.
This event is free for all Unite Oregon members and allies.
We will host 4 sessions for the community, each around 2 hours long. The training is designed to be "101" sessions - introductions to these topics for people who are not already experts - and will help to build your understanding of anti-Blackness, intersectional identities, and ICE as a Black Lives Matter issue.
Training sessions are scheduled as followed:
February: 16th 3 pm - 6 pm
February: 18th 3 pm - 6 pm
February: 23rd 3 pm - 6 pm
February: 25th 3 pm - 6 pm
After you RSVP, you will be emailed the Zoom link closer to the date of the training. Registering to the first training will automatically register you for the entire series. Please email us if you have any questions.