Unite Oregon is seeking an experienced, culturally responsive Organizer or Senior Organizer to build help immigrant and refugee communities build power in Washington County and lead organizing and engagement of our Washington County and chapters and Leadership Development programs. This position will report to the Field Director and Executive Director, and work closely with the Housing Director.
Position Title: Organizer or Senior Organizer, Washington County
Duration: Full Time, Ongoing
Compensation: $40,000-46,000 (Organizer) or $46,000 - $50,000 (Senior Organizer) per year depending on experience; generous and progressive benefits including medical and dental care 100% of premiums paid by Unite Oregon, paid wellness leave, vacation, flex time, and personal days off.
About Unite Oregon: Unite Oregon is a 501(c)3 grassroots community organization with three chapters, in Portland, Beaverton, and Medford. We believe that all people can become leaders and agents of change in the areas of racial justice, immigrant and refugee rights, affordable housing, and living wages. Unite Oregon is building a unified intercultural movement for justice in our state.
Unite Oregon is seeking an experienced, culturally responsive Senior Organizer to build help immigrant and refugee communities build power in Washington County and lead organizing and engagement of our Washington County and chapters and Leadership Development programs. This position will report to the Field Director and Executive Director, and work closely with the Housing Director and Political Director
Responsibilities, in collaboration with organizing staff, are as follows:
Field Organizing and Community Engagement
• Manage Washington County field and leadership development programs and support regional organizer to implement field plans
• Recruit, coordinate, and facilitate new Washington County Leadership Council members as needed, maintaining a balanced diversity of members
• Based on strategic plan, develop and implement 2-4 local issue campaigns and support statewide campaigns
• Recruit volunteers and maintain regular volunteer and leadership development opportunities (ie, regular phone banks, field activities, issue committees, etc)
• Maintain regular email and social media engagement with Washington County members
• Lead/support Washington County projects
• Manage Washington County office
• Assist in developing a grassroots fundraising program with annual goals including organizing and hosting local fundraiser events and membership drives.
• Provide grant reporting assistance
Shift balance of power among Washington County decision makers
• Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders in government and nonprofit sectors in order to remove institutional barriers
• Participate in coalitions that align with strategic plan and organizational mission and vision
Beaverton Organizing and Leadership Development (BOLD); Washington County Housing Cohort
• Recruit participants, process applications for each new cohort, and arrange the admissions process
• Assure that all logistics for cohorts are complete
• Work with team members to plan and implement curriculum
• Assure all facilitators and interpreters get paid, and turn in necessary paperwork
• Work with City of Beaverton to plan, implement, and evaluate program
• Work with graduates and participants to assure they are involved in current campaigns, and apply for Beaverton boards and commissions
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Ability to work independently and take initiative, while maintaining solid communication with and accountability to Executive Director (ED), Field Director, and Leadership Council (LC)
• Experience working in social justice with diverse communities
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• At least two years’ experience in grassroots community organizing or campaigns
• Bilingual and bicultural: especially (but not limited to) Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and/or Somali. Preferred but not required.
• Washington County resident and/or strong ties and history in the region
• Ability to travel to meetings and events across the County, Portland, Salem, and Medford as necessary
• Availability to work during evenings and weekends as needed
All interested candidates, please and resume and cover letter to Finance and Administration Director Khanh Le at [email protected]
This position is open until filled.
Unite Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.