Position Title: Small Business Advisor (Manager)
Duration: Full Time, Ongoing
Compensation: $55,000-$60,000 per year depending on experience; generous and progressive benefits including medical and dental care 100% of premiums paid by Unite Oregon, paid wellness leave, vacation, flex time, and personal days off; technology reimbursement; 4 hours personal time off/week, $300 annual FSA contribution, 2.5% 401K contribution after 6 months.
About Unite Oregon:
Unite Oregon is a 501(c)3 grassroots community organization with four chapters, in Multnomah County, Washington County, Clackamas County, and the Rogue Valley. We believe that all people can become leaders and agents of change in the areas of racial justice, immigrant and refugee rights, affordable housing, and living wages. Unite Oregon is building a unified intercultural movement for justice in our state.
Note to Candidates
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. Unite Oregon is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications as described or if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for or perform job duties.
Unite Oregon is seeking an experienced and culturally responsive Small Business Manager. The candidate should have an entrepreneurial and or small business ownership background and experience. The small business manager will work with the Community Development team to connect and serve BIPOC, low-income rural owned businesses. They also are informed and comfortable working within diverse populations, are personable and comfortable cold-calling and reaching out to small business owners and entrepreneurs.The position will provide one-on-one technical assistance, mentorship, and consulting services to Unite Oregon small business clients across the State of Oregon. Additionally, this position facilitates and teaches workshops and trainings to small peer-based groups of entrepreneurs. This position will have responsibility for some of the organization's program development activities, as well as engagement with various community partners offers a lot of flexibility to manage your own schedule of appointments according to clients' availability. Unite Oregon is delivering business support services virtually. The position reports to the Economic Director and Community Development Director.
- This position facilitates and teaches workshops and trainings to small peer-based groups of entrepreneurs
- Responsible and manage the organization's program development activities,
- Build and administer trust and relationships with new and established small business owners, in order to provide one-on-one technical assistance, advising and consulting services to small business clients utilizing a professional approach with relevant and accurate business acumen
- Conduct a needs assessment for each business, identifying the support needs and creating an action plan for how those needs can be met through program services, local opportunities, and referrals
- Counsel and train small business clients on how to plan, develop, and operate a successful small business, specifically in relation to business strategy, marketing, operations, human resources, compliance, and/or financial planning
- (e.g. understanding business financial statements, budgeting & creating projections)
- Formulate business recommendations to clients and provide support and education needed to carry out recommendations
- Connect clients to referrals and additional resources as needed
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with other economic development and business assistance agencies and professionals
- Effectively document activities and outcomes including: time tracking, client goals and action plans, project progress, and client activities and achievements
- Perform administrative duties
- with contract guidelines and Unite Oregon reporting requirements
- Input client data and outcomes into tracking/database systems
- Demonstrate accuracy, attention to detail, maintenance of confidentiality, and the ability to meet deadlines and appropriately interact with sensitive information
- Act in support of the Unite Oregon team, administrative staff, advisors, and students to ensure a supportive environment and effective collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Assist with program development & business outreach
- Monitor performance of each client/advisor relationship; work with both parties to make necessary adjustments.
- Utilize data and member stories to put together reports that showcase the impact of our work
- Other duties as assigned
- Two-three years experience in, or combination of, entrepreneurship, small business ownership or management, microenterprise development, business assistance, consulting, training, teaching and/or mentoring adults
- Minimum two years of experience in program and contract/grant management and full supervisory responsibilities required
- And/or a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, or equivalent professional experience
- Demonstrate multicultural competency, including the ability to consider alternative and diverse perspectives, interact effectively with people in a positive manner that engenders confidence and trust
- Experience working with BIPOC owned small businesses and/or small business organizations highly preferred
- Background in economic development, community development and/or entrepreneurship is highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with, and connect with, a diverse stakeholder community; effectively work across cultural and socio-economic differences.
- Demonstrated business expertise and a deep understanding of the entrepreneurial path
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience working with a diverse team (including remote team members, a plus)
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines consistently
- Highly organized and able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to be flexible and adapt to change within a growing entrepreneurial work environment
- Critical thinker with strong analytical, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
- Employees must be able to work effectively by telecommuting
- Ability to follow-up with clients, partners and colleagues in a timely manner
- Self-starter with lots of initiative who thrives on collaborating with multiple team members.
- Bilingual or multilingual
- Bicultural or Multicultural
Unite Oregon requires all employees to have completed a full dose vaccine for COVID-19. Proof of vaccine status will be required before an employee may begin work.
All interested candidates, please and resume and cover letter and 2 references to HR and Operations Director [email protected].
This position is open until ____.
Unite Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.