Position Title: Climate Justice Organizer, Rogue Valley
Duration: Full Time, Ongoing
Compensation: $42,500 - $50,000 per year depending on experience; generous and progressive benefits including medical and dental care 100% of premiums paid by Unite Oregon, paid wellness leave, vacation, flex time, and personal days off; technology reimbursement; 4 hours personal time off/week, $300 annual FSA contribution, 2.5% 401K contribution after 6 months.
About Unite Oregon: Unite Oregon is a 501c3 grassroots community organization with four chapters, in Multnomah County, Washington County, Clackamas County, and Rogue Valley. We believe that all people can become leaders and agents of change in the areas of racial justice, immigrant and refugee rights, affordable housing, climate justice and economic prosperity. Unite Oregon is building a unified intercultural movement for justice in our state.
Position Description: Unite Oregon is seeking an experienced, culturally responsive Climate Justice Organizer to help immigrants, refugees, and Black, Indigenous and people of color build power in Rogue Valley. The focus of this position will be to assist in leading local community organizing, engagement, and leadership development efforts; build community capacity to engage with local government and governmental agencies; and convene, train, and empower diverse community members to voice their viewpoints, opinions, and concerns in regards to government- decision making around climate and environmental justice issues. This position will report to the Climate Resilience and Environmental Justice Director, and work closely with the Rogue Valley Chapter Director.
Responsibilities, in collaboration with organizing staff, are as follows:
Field Organizing and Community Engagement
- Assist in managing Rogue Valley Chapter programs and help implement Unite Oregon’s climate and environmental justice platform
- Assist in recruiting diverse community members to provide guidance to Rogue Valley Chapter
- Coordinate and co-facilitate meetings, workshops, listening sessions and/or focus groups related to climate and environmental justice
- Implement local climate and environmental justice issue campaigns and support statewide policy initiatives
- Lead/support climate and environmental justice projects in Rogue Valley as well as cross-chapter, when necessary
- Assist with grassroots fundraising programs with annual goals including organizing and hosting local fundraiser events
- Assist in managing all related grant reports
- Tracking expenses, managing grant project invoices, managing and tracking of deliverables
- Developing regular reports to Unite Oregon leadership
- Participate in Unite Oregon staff meetings, retreats, and board meetings as needed
- Manage communication support for projects internally within Unite Oregon
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, while maintaining solid communication with and accountability to Climate Resilience and Environmental Justice Director
- Experience working in social justice with diverse communities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Experience working with a diverse range of stakeholder organizations and leadership
- Strong facilitation skills
- Proficient with technology including powerpoint, Google Workspace
- Anti-oppression, anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion work experience
- Availability to work during evenings and weekends as needed
Preferred Skills and Experience
- At least two years experience in grassroots community organizing or campaigns
- At least two years of project management experience
- At least two years experience working on environmental justice issues and policies
- Bilingual and bicultural: especially (but not limited to) Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and/or Somali
- Rogue Valley community member/resident and/or strong ties and history in the region
- Ability to travel to meetings and events across the region
All interested candidates, please send a resume and cover letter to Unite Oregon’s administrative team at [email protected].
This position is open until May 22nd, 2022.
Unite Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.