Unite Oregon is seeking an experienced, culturally responsive BLM Organizer who will organize, mobilize and activate community members, particularly Black Oregonians who are impacted by police violence and other institutionalized racism.
Position Title: Black Lives Matter Field Organizer
Duration: Full Time, Limited Duration
Compensation: $40,000-$46,000 per year depending on experience; generous and progressive benefits including medical and dental care 100% of premiums paid by Unite Oregon, paid wellness leave, vacation, flex time, and personal days off.
About Unite Oregon: Unite Oregon is a 501c3 grassroots community organization with three chapters, in Portland, Beaverton, and Medford. We believe that all people can become leaders and agents of change in the areas of racial justice, immigrant and refugee rights, affordable housing, and living wages. Unite Oregon is building a unified intercultural movement for justice in our state.
Position Description: The BLM Organizer is responsible for engaging the community around the mission of Unite Oregon and to organize, mobilize and activate community members, particularly Black Oregonians who are impacted by police violence and other institutionalized racism. To create an environment and space where they can participate and feel ownership of the campaign. Work closely with our campaign partners particularly Black led organizations and impact policy reforms.
This position reports to the Multnomah County Director, and Executive Director (ED).
- Help develop a strategy to implement the Defund.Reinvest.Protect campaigns.
- Help identify policy reforms that will be community-led and focused to shift resources from the Police Bureau and invest in a community-centered health and safety model that is developed in strong partnership with community partners.
- Address the health and safety of Black, Indigenous, and Brown communities by prioritizing solutions identified by the community
- Convene a monthly table of African American and Black stakeholders to advance a shared agenda and identify policy recommendations
- Coordinate rallies and community action to galvanize impacted citizens
- Support UO coalition meetings every month as assigned, including coordination, facilitation, and management
- Recruit new members, maintaining a balanced diversity of members
- Work with coalitions to hold appropriate trainings, events, field work, and meetings
General Support and Administration
- Attend staff meetings, lobby days, and fundraising events as requested
- Maintain communications with members and staff as required
- Track all work using database files
- Other duties as assigned
All interested candidates, please and resume and cover letter and 2 references to Operations Director Khanh Le at [email protected]
This position is open until Tuesday, July 20th, 2020.
Unite Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.